Sunday, February 17, 2013

Mustache Hanger

I mustache you a question (I promise that's the first and last mustache pun) - What do you do with the gazillion wire hangers that have built up in your closet?  If you're me, make them into giant mustaches of course!


I'm not sure why, but I could not stop laughing the whole time I was making this.  Apparently there is something inherently funny about a giant metal mustache.  Who would have thought it!

If you want a good chuckle and to recreate the mustache hanger, you will need:


I made the first one with just my hands and it hurt.  A lot.  So I would definitely recommend starting with the pliers.

First bend the hanger in half upwards, like this:


Pull both ends back to their original position, and press the hook part of the hanger downwards.


Next you want to turn the ends upwards to create the flick at the end of the mustache.  Don't worry if it looks a little wonky at this stage, the wire is very pliable and will soon begin to take shape.


Then you can use the can of soup to mould the top curve of the mustache around (please note, no chicken noodles were hurt in the making of this!).


Then it's just a case of playing with your proportions and smoothing out the lumps and bumps until you are happy with the shape.


The great thing about the mustache hanger is that they are still completely usable, and are especially good for strappy tops because the little flick at the end of the mustache helps to hold the straps in place (even better than the regular wire hanger).

Plus they are free - who doesn't have some old wire hangers lurking in their wardrobe.

New here, thanks for stopping by. You can stay connected with me through Bloglovin:
Follow on Bloglovin
Google Friend Connect (check bottom right in the side bar)
Or see my likes and loves on Pinterest
Follow Me on Pinterest
Kate
xxx


DIY Show Off
 

 


UndertheTableandDreaming
 
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
 
Today's Creative Blog

Lil\'Luna
 

 

The 36th AVENUE
 
Too Much Time On My Hands
 

I Heart Nap Time

16 comments:

  1. Hilarious! Thanks for sharing :)

    Jessica
    myworldmadebyhand.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, this is so funny! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FUN! and simple! My kind of project! Thanks for linking up to Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I'd love for you to share it at the Pinworthy Projects party Friday! http://www.atkinsondrive.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is too cute! LOve the stash!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so funny and this is so cute, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So simple and cute...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LoVE THIS! Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such an awesome idea! I have tons of these hangers I'm not using

    ReplyDelete
  10. My niece is totally into the whole mustache craze...I can't wait to show her this ! You're so creative!! Thanks for sharing ;*)

    Brenda @ChattingOverChocolate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. So fun and creative!Thanks so much for sharing the great tutorial! Would love to have you visit me sometime.
    Have a fabulous day!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clever! I'm sending this to my friend who is OBSESSED with mustaches.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so fun!! I'm featuring you on MMM tonight!

    ReplyDelete