Monday, June 4, 2012

Mirror mirror on the, well....floor!

The dining room stallion was nowhere to be found when we moved in to the house (how could we forget to add that to the terms!!), but the gold mirror to the left of this pic was.  Woo hoo, free (if a little ugly) stuff!


The gold, however, had to go, and the mirror quickly became my number one candidate for my first try at spray painting.  I wanted gloss.  A lot of gloss.  I was picturing something like this one from Z Gallerie, but a little less frou-frou.


I grabbed a $4 can of Krylon spray paint from Walmart.



I taped, and taped and taped some more until the mirror was completely protected, then got to spraying.


One coat in, and a lot of gold was still showing through, but everything I'd read said more lighter coats are better that one big thick dribbly one (not sure they put it quite like that, but you get the picture).


Coat two and the frame was starting to look good. 


Coat three and the obnoxious gold was completely covered. 


I sat it aside for a couple of days to dry completely.  And this is how it looks now.  I'm amazed at how well it came out.  Turns out spray painting is surprisingly easy.  The plan is to hang this somewhere in the hall.  I think.  Maybe.









No comments:

Post a Comment